Sunday, August 10, 2008

Grilled White Whole Wheat Pizza

There are so many great food blogs out there written by people that are much more talented than I am -- both in cooking and in writing -- that part of me questions why I would even attempt to do a blog about cooking. But, after poking around YouTube a bit and seeing some of the videos, the good, the bad, and the downright terrible, that are out there I decided that it would be fun to do try my hand at doing a little video blogging in addition to text blogging, so here goes.


One of my favorite things to cook is pizza, and in the past few years I have found that absolutely best way to cook pizza -- short of investing in wood burning oven -- is to do it on the grill. Several years ago I read somewhere about making pizza on the grill, but my first couple of attempts were much less than satisfactory. Having struggled with the direct on the grill method I tried the stone on the grill method, the stone on the grill with a large clay pot cover method, and even made a sort of pizza stone oven contraption to sit on top of the grill. I had more success with the stone on the grill method, but it kept bugging me that others seem to get great results without bothering with the stone. Finally, one Saturday, I made up a couple of large batches of pizza dough and proceeded to experiment with grilling them directly on the grill. By the end of the day I had several really good cheese pizzas that had been made by directly grilling them, and after that I never went back to the stone.

Last year I went on the South Beach Diet (which has been quite successful for me by the way) which lead to cooking with whole grains. I use white whole wheat flour a lot, it has a milder flavor than regular whole wheat flour with all the nutritional benefits. White whole wheat flour is made from a different variety of wheat, so it is naturally lighter in color and flavor. If you have looked around the net for information on white whole wheat flour you have probably run across statements that white whole flour will substitute directly for white flour without changing the flavor of the food. Don't be fooled by these comments, while I have used white whole wheat in all sorts of things the result is not the same as using white flour. This is not to say that the results are bad, but they are different and will have a slightly different texture and flavor.

This is the case with my white whole wheat pizza crust, it is denser and has more of a whole grain flavor than a crust made with white bread flour, but does not have as strong of a flavor as a crust made from regular whole wheat flour.

Complete directions for making my grilled white whole wheat pizza are available on YouTube.





No comments: